this happen to anyone else out there? :)
amanda must have really brought it on the T2B!
go alfiya! way to welcome new members!
Hey Gymgans! Please meet today’s Featured Gygman Doreen “Dors” Farrugia!
What is your name?
- Doreen Farrugia, better known as Dors
What do you do?
- Manage a golf shop
- Level 1 Golf Coach
- Play golf
Where can people find you on Gymga?
Where do you usually workout?
- Fenix Gym, Melbourne, Australia
How do you like to exercise?
- Personal training sessions
- Weight training
- Core / Abs strengthening
- I train 5 - 6 sessions a week. I have been seeing Paul, my personal trainer, now for about 7 months and he is just awesome. Each session is challenging and uses different methods each time to achieve ultimate results. Paul also runs bootcamps which are, at times, pretty tough but a whole heap of fun and gives me a great sense of achievement. He is also a TRX trainer and with so many exercise options available and varying degrees of difficulty makes it all the more challenging. Having a personal trainer with whom you get on well with and can relate to, who also makes your workouts fun and exciting, makes it a whole lot easier to stay motivated and enjoy staying fit and healthy!
Why is exercising so important to you?
- Makes me feel good
- Maintain a healthy body and lifestyle
- Increased self confidence
- Gives me a sense of self achievement
- Gives me an outlet from work
- Knowing I am doing something positive for me!
Do you have any specific goals?
- Maintain my current ideal weight
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Improve cardio fitness
What’s your advice to people on how best to stay motivated?
- Set goals and reward yourself once achieved
- Be around positive people / friends
- Don’t allow others to drag you down
- Have a personal trainer
- Enjoy what you do
- Get involved in fitness classes, great way to meet people who have the same common interests as you
- Believe anything is possible no matter what your age and / or circumstances are
Do you follow any diet plans or have any nutritional tips you can share with others?
- No such thing as a short term diet - its all about a lifestyle change for a lifetime!
- Eat healthy foods - a lot is just common sense
- Protein shakes - good start to the day or post workout
- Have nutritional snacks through the day - don’t stay hungry
- When out for dinner at a restaurant - select your meal with care
- Have a cheat day once a week - but don’t over indulge
- Enjoy your meals and be adventurous
Anything else you want to say?
- Today I am a 52 year old grandmother of 3, married with a very busy lifestyle. I work full time, train 5 - 6 times weekly, play golf 2 times weekly and enjoy my wonderful grandchildren. And to top things off, help my husband, Manny, operate his home maintenance business. Three years ago I weighed 70 kgs (154 lbs) with no energy and a very unhealthy lifestyle until one day I decided to turn my life around. I began counting calories, eat healthier foods and started walking daily. The weight started to drop and the more this happened, the more active and motivated I became. Seven months ago I joined a gym and started seeing my personal trainer, for me, this was the next step on my journey to achieve the ultimate lifestyle and become the healthiest and the most fit person I have ever been. Today I weigh 51 kgs (112 lbs) which is now my ideal weight. In this 3 year period my lifestyle and attitude has changed dramatically for the better Everyday my fitness level is improving and I feel my body is getting stronger as I get older!! My health has never been better…I had been on high blood pressure tablets for about 7 years, but for the past 3 months have no need for them, my medical doctor is amazed at this achievement. I love what I see in the mirror now, not to mention what my husband sees!!! This is what motivates me to continue with what I am doing and live life to the max!
What is my favorite quote?
- I can because I know I can!